Sugar House Fireworks May Be All Bust, No Bang Without A Sponsor | KUER 90.1

Sugar House Fireworks May Be All Bust, No Bang Without A Sponsor

Nov 30, 2017

The Sugar House Park fireworks show could be canceled next year if no one comes forward to sponsor it.

The massive Fourth of July fireworks display draws thousands of people to Sugar House Park every year. But it’s expensive to manage — $30 - 45,000, according to Chad Anderson, president of the Sugar House Park Board of Trustees.

“Most of that money needs to be raised, and they usually raise it through sponsors, different companies that would like to sponsor the fireworks,” Anderson said.

The firework show has had been a variety of different backers over the years, from businesses to private individuals. The last two events were supported by the Sugar House Chamber of Commerce, which decided not to do it again next summer. 

State lawmakers are considering wider restrictions on backyard fireworks. Anderson said if that happens, the Sugar House fireworks show could have even more attendees.

“I have some concern because if they do limit fireworks, I think (Sugar House Park) would be a good place for people to go,” he said. “The Sugar House Park has been a long-running tradition.”

Because of the size of the event, Anderson said time is running out. He encouraged anyone interested in being a sponsor to request a special event permit on the Sugar House Park website.