Salt Lake City, UT – "Fair Trade" is a business model which links retailers directly to producers in developing countries to guarantee them greater equity in the global economy. Doug Fabrizio is joined by Katie Olsen and Doug Dirks of Ten Thousand Villages, and by Kimberly Grimes, author of "Artisans and Cooperatives," for a look at the challenges of the global market and at the impact of Fair Trade on the lives of artisans throughout the world.
- Salt Lake City's Ten Thousand Villages is located at 2186 S Highland Dr. For more information, call them at 801-485-8827.
- Visit Ten Thousand Villages on-line
- Learn more about Fair Trade
- Beautiful Options is a distributor of fair-trade Kazuri Jewelry, handmade and handpainted ceramic jewelry from Kenya. Sabina Zunguze of Beautiful Options, will be having an open house this coming Saturday. For more information call 801-347-0261.
- Catholic Relief Services Fair Trade offers fair-trade coffee, choclate, and handcrafts.
- Heifer International, while not exactly fair-trade, provides micro-enterprising opportunities for families in developing nations.
- The International Fair Trade Association is the global network of Fair Trade Organizations. Their mission is to improve the livelihoods and well being of disadvantaged producers by linking and promoting Fair Trade Organizations, and speaking out for greater justice in world trade.
- The Fair Trade Federation is an association of fair trade wholesalers, retailers, and producers whose members are committed to providing fair wages and good employment opportunities to economically disadvantaged artisans and farmers worldwide.
Or shop on-line at Amazon.com. A portion of your purchase benefits KUER.